I1 media visa is for representatives of the foreign media including members of the press, radio, film or print industries temporarily traveling to the US to engage in their profession while having their home office in a foreign country.  Procedures for providing an I1 media visa to a foreign media representative of a particular country, consider whether the applicant’s own government grants similar privileges or is reciprocal to representatives of the media or press from the US.

I1 media visa applicant’s activities must be essential to the foreign media function such as reporters, film crews, editors and persons in similar occupations.  The activity must be essentially informational and generally associated with the news gathering process or reporting on actual current events.  Other examples of activities eligible for an I1 media visa include but are not limited to the following:

  • Primary employees of foreign information media engaged in filming a news event or documentary;
  • Members of the media engaged in the production or distribution of film will only qualify for a media visa if the material being filmed will be used to disseminate information or news. Additionally, the primary source and distribution of funding must be outside the US;
  • Persons holding a credential issued by a professional journalistic organization if working under contract on a product to be used abroad by an information or cultural medium to disseminate information or news not primarily intended for commercial entertainment or advertising;
  • Employees of independent production companies when those employees hold a credential issued by a professional journalistic association;
  • Foreign journalists working for an overseas branch office or subsidiary of a US network, newspaper or other media outlet if the journalist is going to the US to report on US events solely for a foreign audience;
  • Accredited representatives of tourist bureaus controlled, operated, or subsidized in whole or in part by a foreign government who engage primarily in disseminating factual tourist information about that country; and
  • Employees in the US offices of organizations, which distribute technical industrial information.
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt